15 Toughest Firefighter Interview Questions
- Why do you want to work in this industry?
- Tell us about yourself.
- What do you think of your previous boss?
- Why are you leaving your current role?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What’s your greatest weakness?
- What salary are you looking for?
- Why should I hire you?
How do you smoke a firefighter interview?
The format is simple: question, answer, and reasoning behind the answer. After answering each question, Chief Lepore carefully and thoroughly explains why he has answered the question the way he did. These reasons often delve into the culture of the fire department and the expectations of a rookie firefighter.
Do firefighters drug test?
Random drug testing in new firefighter contract. Firefighters would be tested at least once every two years. Those who admit to an addiction before a test would get rehabilitation help, not discipline. Testing positive for an illegal substance would result in firing.
Also to know is, how do you stand out in a firefighter interview?
Firefighter job interview: How to stand out
- The real you. As you begin to discuss your life and answer questions, traits like self-expression, personality and a sense of maturity begin to reveal themselves.
- Come prepared. A little rehearsal can go a long way in putting you at ease; as your mind realizes you have an answer, your body will relax.
- Study the process.
How long is a firefighter interview?
There’s nothing different with firefighter interviews than other interviews. It’s you across a table with 3-7 individuals (usually firefighters) and they ask around 10 questions. The interview can last from 15-45 minutes usually.
What are the duties of a firefighter?
Firefighters typically do the following:
- Drive fire trucks and other emergency vehicles.
- Put out fires using water hoses, fire extinguishers, and pumps.
- Find and rescue victims in burning buildings or in other emergency situations.
- Treat sick or injured people.
- Prepare written reports on emergency incidents.
Whats it like being a firefighter?
The best firefighters are those who have the ability to maintain their composure while, multi-tasking and thinking on their feet in the face of life and death emergencies. They must be able to organize a great deal of information in a short period of time under extreme mental, physical and psychological conditions.
What are your weaknesses answers?
“What are your greatest weaknesses?” example answers
- Example weakness 1: Self-critical.
- Example weakness 2: Lacking confidence.
- Example weakness 3: Difficulty asking questions.
- Example weakness 4: Lacking experience.
- Example weakness 5: Procrastination.
- Example weakness 6: Perfectionism.
Is becoming a firefighter competitive?
Becoming a firefighter is no easy task. It requires hard work, long hours of training, dedication and a sincere desire to help others. The firefighting career field is very competitive, too. You’ll be up against hundreds, possibly thousands of applicants depending on the department.
Secondly, why should we hire you as a firefighter?
Here are some carefully selected reasons to hire YOU: You have an extensive, significant and diverse life experience & background to offer. You have a contagious enthusiasm in whatever you are doing or wanting to do. You demonstrate the ability to get along with others.
What do they ask on firefighter polygraph?
A polygraph test is also known as a lie detector test. A firefighter polygraph test is usually conducted to measure physiological factors such as blood pressure, perspiration, pulse, and skin conductivity, movement and more. One is generally asked questions before and during the test.
Does military experience help to become a firefighter?
Many people join the military looking for firefighting experience. While this is a good approach it should not be the only focus. The military fire academy, which all military branches send their firefighters to, is located at Goodfellow Air Force Base in Texas.
Why should we hire you examples?
Make his job easier by convincing him that:
- You can do the work and deliver exceptional results.
- You will fit in beautifully and be a great addition to the team.
- You possess a combination of skills and experience that make you stand out from the crowd.
- Hiring you will make him look smart and make his life easier.
How do you answer tell me about yourself?
A Simple Formula for Answering “Tell Me About Yourself”
- Present: Talk a little bit about what your current role is, the scope of it, and perhaps a big recent accomplishment.
- Past: Tell the interviewer how you got there and/or mention previous experience that’s relevant to the job and company you’re applying for.
Similarly one may ask, what should I expect at a firefighter interview?
A firefighter candidate should be well-groomed for the interview. You want to draw more attention to your words than your outfit or accessories. Wear a suit that fits well, avoid using strong perfumes or colognes, and make sure that your hair is neatly styled. Wear minimal jewelry and avoid flashy prints or colors.
Should I bring a resume to a firefighter interview?
You’re going to want to bring a couple of things with you to your interview. Most interviewees will bring a small binder with them to put their papers in. A resume, references, and maybe some certs are all good things to bring.
Is it hard to get hired as a firefighter?
So in all, Firefighter-EMT/Paramedic is a really difficult job to get, especially in major cities, but it is a rewarding career with good benefits and good job security once you do. The testing process for getting the job requires a written exam, physical agility, and oral interview.
What is the most essential duty a firefighter performs?
Question: What is the most important aspect of being a fire fighter? Answer: saving human life is the primary goal. A firefighter must stay fit – firefighters exercise daily. Ability to work with a team, follow orders without fail, bravery, quick thinking and acting, calmness in emergency are all essential qualities.
What should I wear to a firefighter interview?
What to Wear to the Firefighter Job Interview
- Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray.
- Don’t: Wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories.
- Women: Do wear a tailored business-like suit or dress with a jacket, not overly feminine.
Why do you want to work for this department?
The interviewer is looking for similar things whether asking about company or position. The hiring manager wants to: Learn about your career goals and how this position fits into your plan. Make sure that you are sincerely interested in the job and will be motivated to perform if hired.
What questions should I ask a firefighter?
Here are some of the common questions and some answers.
- How can you go into a burning building? Going into a burning building is not really that big of a deal to a firefighter.
- How does working a 24 hour shift affect your family life?
- How do you eat dinner at the firehouse?
- What other calls do you go on besides fires?